SCA Coaching Conference
ChipsCheeseandMayo
2005-05-21 09:11:54 UTC
With the competence I have come to expect from UK kayaking bodies I can
find no information online about the above conference.

Has anyone here ever been. What is the format? Do I need to to take a
boat?

P.S. This whole coach update thing SUCKS...
Mike Buckley
2005-05-21 10:20:35 UTC
If you can't be bothered to check the SCA site - - - - -

Considering some of the concerns you've raised in some of your earlier
posts, it could be that you'd find the whole concept of coach update very
useful.

Mike.
ChipsCheeseandMayo
2005-05-21 12:26:53 UTC
I have checked the SCA site (both of them) - any chance of a direct URL
so I can see the bit you're thinking of...

Thanks :)
Mike Buckley
2005-05-21 13:30:26 UTC
(Groan) - look under All Canoeing ;-) - the date is there. If you drop
them a mail no doubt they'll provide you with more info!

The Lord helps those who help themselves - - - - - - -

Thanks :)
ChipsCheeseandMayo
2005-05-21 13:42:01 UTC
I was hoping they might actually be organised enough to have some info
up on their nice spangly new website :) Glad I wasn't being thick
about there not being anything.

You seem to know what you're talking about Mike- have you been in the
past? I know what the dates are, and I know the location and I believe
that it is camping? What I'd like to know is stuff like the sort of
sessions held, do I need to take my own boat etc etc. All fairly
trivial stuff there's not a lot of point in bothering the SCA with. I
just figured it was worth seeing if anyone here had ever been/ knows
anything about it.

I agree, I'm sure I am direly in need of updating. It's just there seem
to be few coach updates advertised, and I don't have my own transport
which complicates matters even further :)
Mike Buckley
2005-05-22 18:53:48 UTC
Post by ChipsCheeseandMayo
I was hoping they might actually be organised enough to have some info
up on their nice spangly new website :) Glad I wasn't being thick
about there not being anything.
LOL - despite being an SCA supporter, on this one I agree with you. It's
naff. Given the relativly short lead-time I'd expect them to get something
sorted and soon.
Post by ChipsCheeseandMayo
You seem to know what you're talking about Mike- have you been in the
past? I know what the dates are, and I know the location and I believe
that it is camping? What I'd like to know is stuff like the sort of
sessions held, do I need to take my own boat etc etc. All fairly
trivial stuff there's not a lot of point in bothering the SCA with. I
just figured it was worth seeing if anyone here had ever been/ knows
anything about it.
"talking about" - me?? Believe it not! Seriously though, I've not been but I
have had enough contact with SCA coaches to make me believe it'll be a
worthwhile outing.
Post by ChipsCheeseandMayo
I agree, I'm sure I am direly in need of updating. It's just there seem
to be few coach updates advertised, and I don't have my own transport
which complicates matters even further :)
Which makes it even more worthwhile to go asking for info! The SCA folk are
friendly and helpful and in all honesty there's no such thing as a silly
question if its a question to which you don't know the answer. If you know
Dave Rossiter or Colin Cupar then they would be worth asking for input.

Re transport, post here and on the other well known river canoeing sites
asking for a car share.

YIS - Mike.
Ewan Scott
2005-05-23 08:15:45 UTC
Post by ChipsCheeseandMayo
I was hoping they might actually be organised enough to have some info
up on their nice spangly new website :) Glad I wasn't being thick
about there not being anything.
You seem to know what you're talking about Mike- have you been in the
past? I know what the dates are, and I know the location and I believe
that it is camping? What I'd like to know is stuff like the sort of
sessions held, do I need to take my own boat etc etc. All fairly
trivial stuff there's not a lot of point in bothering the SCA with. I
just figured it was worth seeing if anyone here had ever been/ knows
anything about it.
I agree, I'm sure I am direly in need of updating. It's just there seem
to be few coach updates advertised, and I don't have my own transport
which complicates matters even further :)
My wife and myself just went to one in Yorkshire. Before we went we
considered it a pain in the backside, a full day where we could have been
doing something else. However, we actually found it useful as it verified
our view on some local practices, and it taught us some new tricks that have
gone down well with the kids we teach.

We also met up with a few folks we hadn't seen in years. At the end of the
day we were pleased that we had done the revalidation/ update event.

Very often we are doing something and when we have to go and do further
training we see it is a nuisance (particularly as volunteers) but the
reality is that I have come away from every taining course I have done as a
volunteer with something useful.

Ewan Scott
Allan Bennett
2005-05-23 07:24:22 UTC
In article <***@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
ChipsCheeseandMayo <URL:mailto:***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
Post by ChipsCheeseandMayo
I agree, I'm sure I am direly in need of updating. It's just there seem
to be few coach updates advertised, and I don't have my own transport
which complicates matters even further :)
Ah, I see...

That's why you need coach information. Try:

http://www.dhf.co.uk/coaches.php3

:-)

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of Greyhounds